Mull(et) over these delicious croquettes
These mullet croquettes with roasted garlic chipotle aioli are the ultimate party food or appetiser – full of flavour and a delicious way to prepare full flavoured fish – even a great solution for leftovers.
YES they might take a bit of work to pull together, but you will have family and friends begging for more. Just visual it now, crispy cylinders on the outside with a melt in the mouth, soft texture on the inside… anybody hungry…
Mullet Croquettes and Roasted Garlic Chipotle Aioli (serves 3)
Recipe created by Chef Zoe Kumar
Recipe for Mullet Croquettes
600g Mullet fillets
2 cloves garlic
½ white onion
¼ all-purpose flour
Milk (if needed)
Pepper (to taste)
Salt (to taste)
2 tablespoons parsley
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Requires hot oven (180 degrees). Please see step 6.
- Poach Mullet fillets in simmering water with salt and pepper until cooked (1-3 minutes). Once cooked, place on paper towel and in fridge to cool.
- Chop onion, parsley and garlic very finely. Sauté for 2 – 3 minutes in a hot pan with vegetable oil and place in the fridge to cool with the mullet.
- Once all cool, mix together in a bowl with hand until the mullet is shredded and gradually add the flour until the mixture is no longer sticky to touch but still holds its shape.
- Take 2 tbsp of the mixture and mold cylinder shapes using your hands (mixture makes about 10 croquettes). Place on a floured tray in the freezer for 15 minutes to firm.
- In three separate containers have flour, beaten eggs and bread crumbs ready to crumb the mullet. To coat, place the mullet cylinder into the flour (lightly coating), then dip into the egg mixture. Lastly coast the cylinder into the breadcrumbs. To note: If the croquette hasn’t fully been coated, repeat egg and breadcrumb stage.
- When all the mixture has been crumbed you can fry cylinders in a shallow fry pan of vegetable oil until golden brown. Before serving, heat them for a further 3-5 minutes in a hot oven to make sure they cooked all the way through.
- Serve them with a dollop of the aioli.
Recipe for Roasted Garlic and Chipotle Aioli (serves 3)
½ garlic bulbs
50ml extra virgin olive oil
100ml veg/canola oil
1 egg yolk
1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
2 chipotle chillies from can
1 tbsp. lime juice
Smoked paprika (to taste)
- Peel outer layers of the garlic and place on tray drizzle with olive oil and bake at 180 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Once the garlic has cooled to touch, squeeze the roasted garlic from the skins into a clean bowl.
- Add the egg yolk and Dijon to the garlic and whisk to combine.
- Blend the chipotle chilli separately.
- Add lime juice to the egg mixture and slowly, rain in the olive oil and canola oil while constantly whisking the mixture.
- Once desired thickness is achieved add the chipotle and season to taste.