WA’s Best Fish and Chips Served up an Award
The high quality fish and chips of Pinjarra Fish and Chips as well as Ocean and Paddock in Albany was last night recognised when they won the People’s Choice Fish and Chips Award (sponsored by Bendotti Exporters) and the Judged Fish and Chips Award (sponsored by Mareterram Fisheries) respectively, at the 2019 Western Australian Seafood Industry Awards.
The Awards event, recognising excellence in the WA seafood industry, was held at the Esplanade Hotel in Fremantle and opened by Minister for Fisheries, the Hon. Dave Kelly MLA, in front of an audience of industry participants and representatives of various stakeholder groups.
WA Fishing Industry Council (WAFIC) Chair, Dr Ron Edwards said both Pinjarra Fish and Chips as well as Ocean and Paddock had demonstrated excellence in consistently providing customers with quality seafood, with a focus on taste, quality, choice, information and labelling, ensuring customers can simply enjoy great quality seafood.
In a search for Western Australia’s best Fish and Chip shop, the Fisheries Research and Development Corporation (FRDC), in partnership with the Western Australian Fishing Industry Council (WAFIC) and other state industry bodies, co-ordinated an on-line public voting forum across the nation.
“The fish and chip lovers of Western Australian have spoken with almost 9,000 of them voting for 178 of the states favourite fish and chip shops. WA continues to be the place to go for fish and chips, with almost 20% of the shops entered into the competition and a quarter of all votes. It is clear why so many Western Australian love fish and chips, because we have some of the best fisheries and potatoes in Australia. The diversity of sustainable choices make it a tough call for the average fish and chips punter to pick a winner, because they know the best comes from the west and that goes for the Western Australia fishing industry as well,” Dr Edwards said.
The National winner of the 2019 Australian Fish and Chips Awards will be announced on 10 October 2019 at the National Seafood Industry Awards in Melbourne.
“With vision, commitment and an abundance of passion, both Pinjarra Fish and Chips and Ocean and Paddock have grown into very popular outlets selling high quality Western Australian seafood,” Dr Edwards said.
“As an industry body, we recognise the importance of acknowledging those individuals and organisations who make a substantial contribution to benefiting our industry, and Pinjarra Fish and Chips along with Ocean and Paddock are certainly incredibly worthy of the title for WA’s best fish and chips,” Dr Edwards concluded.
For further information regarding the awards, please contact:
WAFIC office: (08) 9432 7777
Mobile: 0434 963 179
Dr Ron Edwards
WAFIC office: (08) 9432 7777
Mobile: 0408 925 805
Ocean and Paddock
Phone: 0437 476 266
Pinjarra Fish and Chips
Phone: 9531 1044
About the People’s Choice Fish and Chips Award – Winner Pinjarra Fish & Chips
Chosen by consumers, this award will be presented to a take-away food outlet that has demonstrated excellence in consistently providing customers with quality seafood. As part of the Australian Fish and Chips Awards, fish and chips lovers across Australia will be able to nominate and vote for their favourite outlet via social media. Votes for each outlet will be shown on a leader board at www.fishandchipsawards.com.au.
Consumer’s Judging criteria:
- Taste (40%): Does the seafood taste good? Cooking method will be key here – using the right approach for the right fish and doing it well to make your seafood sing.
- Service (30%): Does the service meet customer expectations? Everything from the welcome to the goodbye is important.
- Choice (10%): Does the menu offer customers options? Different types of fish or seafood; local or imported; cooking methods [grilled, fried, etc.]; and preparations battered, crumbed or natural.
- Information (10%): Are customers provided with accurate information about the source and qualities of the seafood? The menu must comply with the Australian Fish Names Standard [fishnames.com.au] and accurately label the seafood’s provenance to a national level, or better.
- Presentation (10%): Is the store clean and inviting? Is the food packaged to maintain quality?
About the Judged Fish and Chips Award – Winner Ocean & Paddock
As part of the Australian Fish and Chips Awards, this award will be presented to a take away food outlet that has demonstrated excellence in consistently providing customers with quality seafood.
Fish & Chip outlets were required to submit an online nomination, answering a series of seafood cooking and management criteria, with only the outlets rated with the highest scores formally visited by our Award judges.
Key Judging Criteria:
- Service, knowledge and commitment
- Information, labelling and displays
About the Awards Event
- The event is supported by a number of sponsors including; National Australia Bank (Gold event sponsor), Fisheries Research & Development Corporation (Silver event sponsor) and Western Rock Lobster Council (Silver event sponsor) as well as sponsors for each of the individual awards, including Austral Fisheries, Bailey’s Marine Fuels, Baker Refrigeration, Bendotti Exporters, Geraldton Fisherman’s Cooperative, ConocoPhillips Australia, Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development WA, Endeavour Foods, Francis A Jones, INPEX, Mareterram, MG Kailis Group, Santos and Woodside.
- Award event attendees enjoyed an array of fresh, local and sustainably caught Western Australian seafood prepared by celebrity chefs and kindly donated by sponsors including; Austral Fisheries, BellBuoy Seafoods, Bendotti Exporters, Blom Fishing, Brown Dog Fishing Co, Cone Bay Barramundi, Endeavour Foods, Fins Seafood, Larner’s Oysters, Leeman Fish & Chips, Mendolia Seafoods, MG Kailis Group, Ocean Grown Abalone, Ocean Wild Tuna, Paspaley Pearling Company, Running Wild Fishing Co, Shark Bay Cockles, Shark Bay Seafoods, West Australian Octopus all served in compostable packaging provided by Ward Packaging.
- Highly regarded “celebrity”’ seafood chefs cooked at the event including; Gurpreet Bagga (Sauma Northbridge), Naomi Bulner (Steve’s Fine Food), Neil Forbes (Black Pearl Oyster Shucking), Don Hancey (WA Food Ambassador & WAFIC Seafood Ambassador), Gord Kahle (Cook & Mason), Stuart Laws (Showcase Events WA), Kenny McHardy (Manuka Woodfire Kitchen), Brendan Pang (2018 Masterchef Contestant), Melissa Palinkas (Young George), Alejandro Saravia (Uma), and Nic Wood (Santini Bar & Grill).
- The event was held on Thursday 25 July 2019 at Fremantle’s Esplanade Hotel.