Cook & Mason Crowned Best Seafood Restaurant
The high-quality seafood meals and excellence in customer service of restaurant ‘Cook & Mason’ was last night recognised when they won the Seafood Restaurant Award, sponsored by Endeavour Foods, at the 2019 Western Australian Seafood Industry Awards.
The Awards event, recognising excellence in the WA seafood industry, was held at The Esplanade Hotel in Fremantle and opened by the Minister for Fisheries, the Hon. Dave Kelly MLA, in front of an audience of industry participants and representatives of various stakeholder groups.
Cook and Mason, housed in a heritage-listed building, is located in East Fremantle with Canadian-Australian chef Gord Kahle focussed on providing high-quality meals using seasonal and locally sourced produce
Ironically, the restaurant is called Cook and Mason because one partner is a chef and the other is a stonemason.
WA Fishing Industry Council (WAFIC) Chair, Dr Ron Edwards said Cook and Mason has demonstrated excellence in consistently serving customers with quality seafood and providing them with an overall positive seafood dining experience.
“The meals are prepared with professionalism and commitment for sourcing and showcasing the best seafood Australia has to offer, delivering outstanding quality and taste. In addition, the staff are very attentive and knowledgeable, which provides for a very enjoyable customer experience.”
“As an industry body, we recognise the importance of acknowledging those individuals and organisations who make a substantial contribution to benefiting our industry – and Cook and Mason is certainly incredibly worthy of this Award,” Dr Edwards concluded.
The application from Madalenas Bar in South Fremantle was recognised by judges as Highly Commended.
For further information regarding the awards, please contact:
WAFIC office: (08) 9432 7777
Dr Ron Edwards
WAFIC office: (08) 9432 7777
Mobile: 0408 925 805
Cook & Mason
Phone: 0434 419 520
Office: 6161 9767
About the Seafood Restaurant Award
Presented to a restaurant that has demonstrated excellence in consistently serving customers with quality seafood and providing them with an overall positive seafood dining experience.
Subsequent to judging of written applications, the judges secretly dined at the top 3 entrants for this category, to ensure the seafood meals and menu meets the specified requirements and determine the winner.
- serves seafood meals that taste good
- consistently meets customer expectations for service
- serves seafood meals that include Australian seafood
- provides customers with accurate information about the seafood components of the meals
- complies with the Australian Standard for Fish Names and, preferably, provenance labelling
- provides an ambience that compliments the seafood meals in providing customers with an overall positive seafood dining experience
- contributes substantially towards a positive public profile for the seafood industry
About the Awards Event
- The event is supported by a number of sponsors including; National Australia Bank (Gold event sponsor), Fisheries Research & Development Corporation (Silver event sponsor) and Western Rock Lobster Council (Silver event sponsor) as well as sponsors for each of the individual awards, including Austral Fisheries, Bailey’s Marine Fuels, Baker Refrigeration, Bendotti Exporters, Geraldton Fisherman’s Cooperative, ConocoPhillips Australia, Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development WA, Endeavour Foods, Francis A Jones, INPEX, Mareterram, MG Kailis Group, Santos and Woodside.
- Award event attendees enjoyed an array of fresh, local and sustainably caught Western Australian seafood prepared by celebrity chefs and kindly donated by sponsors including; Austral Fisheries, BellBuoy Seafoods, Bendotti Exporters, Blom Fishing, Brown Dog Fishing Co, Cone Bay Barramundi, Endeavour Foods, Fins Seafood, Larner’s Oysters, Leeman Fish & Chips, Mendolia Seafoods, MG Kailis Group, Ocean Grown Abalone, Ocean Wild Tuna, Paspaley Pearling Company, Running Wild Fishing Co, Shark Bay Cockles, Shark Bay Seafoods, West Australian Octopus all served in compostable packaging provided by Ward Packaging.
- Highly regarded “celebrity”’ seafood chefs cooked at the event including; Gurpreet Bagga (Sauma Northbridge), Naomi Bulner (Steve’s Fine Food), Neil Forbes (Black Pearl Oyster Shucking), Don Hancey (WA Food Ambassador & WAFIC Seafood Ambassador), Gord Kahle (Cook & Mason), Stuart Laws (Showcase Events WA), Kenny McHardy (Manuka Woodfire Kitchen), Brendan Pang (2018 Masterchef Contestant), Melissa Palinkas (Young George), Alejandro Saravia (Uma), and Nic Wood (Santini Bar & Grill).
- The event was held on Thursday 25 July 2019 at Fremantle’s Esplanade Hotel.