Fishing Vessel Bowithick Sets National Standard
BP Fishing, operating fishing vessel Bowithick based out of the Abrolhos Islands, was last night recognised when it won the Seafood Industry Producer Award, sponsored by the Department of Primary Industry and Regional Development (DPIRD), at the 2019 Western Australian Seafood Industry Awards.
The Awards event, recognising excellence in the WA seafood industry, was held at the Esplanade Hotel in Fremantle and opened by the Minister for Fisheries, the Hon. Dave Kelly MLA, in front of an audience of industry participants and representatives of various stakeholder groups.
WA Fishing Industry Council (WAFIC) Chair, Dr Ron Edwards said BP Fishing had demonstrated excellence in the sustainable production of quality seafood through innovation in fishing or aquaculture practices and has contributed substantially towards a positive public profile for the seafood industry.
“BP Fishing uses innovative ways to improve their production practices and are taking considerable care to maintain high quality seafood products by using measures such double ikijime (a method of slaughtering fish to maintain the quality of its meat) of the fish and gill snipping to improve the quality of the flesh, as well as ensuring the ice quality and correct method of stacking of fish is used when packing for delivery to market,” said Dr Edwards.
BP Fishing owner and operator, Ben Pethick said that crayfish and wet line-caught fish are very high value seafood products and need to be treated with the upmost care.
“Due to our profile-raising attempts and exceptional standard of seafood, our product is now in demand from restaurants nationally.”
“We have been making a considerable effort to increase customer awareness of our company and fishing vessels profile through social media avenues, branding and provenance labelling, to communicate the effort our team take to ensure we maintain an excellent standard of product and give consumers and restaurateurs an understanding of the ‘story’ and the journey of that produce from ocean to plate,” he said.
“As an industry body, we recognise the importance of acknowledging those individuals and organisations who make a substantial contribution to benefiting our industry, and BP Fishing are certainly incredibly worthy of this Award,” Dr Edwards concluded.
For further information regarding the awards, please contact:
WAFIC office: (08) 9432 7777
Dr Ron Edwards
WAFIC office: (08) 9432 7777
Mobile: 0408 925 805
BP Fishing Pty Ltd
Mobile: 0418 980 182
About the Seafood Industry Producer Award
Presented to a seafood primary producer that has demonstrated excellence in the sustainable production of quality seafood through innovation in fishing or aquaculture practices, and that has contributed substantially towards a positive public profile for the seafood industry.
- continually demonstrates innovative ways of improving production practices
- produces products that consistently meet customer expectations
- continually improves the delivery and marketing of its products to its customers
- contributes substantially towards a positive public profile for the seafood industry
About the Awards Event
- The event is supported by a number of sponsors including; National Australia Bank (Gold event sponsor), Fisheries Research & Development Corporation (Silver event sponsor) and Western Rock Lobster Council (Silver event sponsor) as well as sponsors for each of the individual awards, including Austral Fisheries, Bailey’s Marine Fuels, Baker Refrigeration, Bendotti Exporters, Geraldton Fisherman’s Cooperative, ConocoPhillips Australia, Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development WA, Endeavour Foods, Francis A Jones, INPEX, Mareterram, MG Kailis Group, Santos and Woodside.
- Award event attendees enjoyed an array of fresh, local and sustainably caught Western Australian seafood prepared by celebrity chefs and kindly donated by sponsors including; Austral Fisheries, BellBuoy Seafoods, Bendotti Exporters, Blom Fishing, Brown Dog Fishing Co, Cone Bay Barramundi, Endeavour Foods, Fins Seafood, Larner’s Oysters, Leeman Fish & Chips, Mendolia Seafoods, MG Kailis Group, Ocean Grown Abalone, Ocean Wild Tuna, Paspaley Pearling Company, Running Wild Fishing Co, Shark Bay Cockles, Shark Bay Seafoods, West Australian Octopus all served in compostable packaging provided by Ward Packaging.
- Highly regarded “celebrity”’ seafood chefs cooked at the event including; Gurpreet Bagga (Sauma Northbridge), Naomi Bulner (Steve’s Fine Food), Neil Forbes (Black Pearl Oyster Shucking), Don Hancey (WA Food Ambassador & WAFIC Seafood Ambassador), Gord Kahle (Cook & Mason), Stuart Laws (Showcase Events WA), Kenny McHardy (Manuka Woodfire Kitchen), Brendan Pang (2018 Masterchef Contestant), Melissa Palinkas (Young George), Alejandro Saravia (Uma), and Nic Wood (Santini Bar & Grill).
- The event was held on Thursday 25 July 2019 at Fremantle’s Esplanade Hotel.