High Safety Levels Pay Dividends for Paspaley
The Awards event, recognising excellence in the WA seafood industry, was held at The Esplanade Hotel in Fremantle and opened by the Minister for Fisheries, the Hon. Dave Kelly MLA, in front of an audience of industry participants and representatives of various stakeholder groups.
WA Fishing Industry Council (WAFIC) Chair, Dr Ron Edwards said Paspaley has demonstrated excellence in developing and maintaining a culture of safety that has contributed substantially towards improving the safety record of the seafood industry.
“Paspaley have really taken a proactive role to improve deckhand training and safety standards so as to increase employee retention and to provide a safe working environment in remote locations and improve the safety of its crew and vessels”, said Dr Edwards.
“As an industry body, we recognise the importance of acknowledging those individuals and organisations who make a substantial contribution to benefiting our industry, and Paspaley are certainly incredibly worthy of this Award,” Dr Edwards concluded.
For further information regarding the awards, please contact:
WAFIC office: (08) 9432 7777
Dr Ron Edwards
WAFIC office: (08) 9432 7777
Mobile: 0408 925 805
Paspaley Pearling Company
Mobile: 0401 073 905
About the Safety Award
Presented to an entity that has demonstrated excellence in developing and maintaining a culture of safety that has contributed substantially towards improving the safety record of the seafood industry.
- addressed a high priority safety area or risk
- was end-user driven, and produced outcomes that contributed towards the safety record of the seafood industry
- if appropriate, complied with legislation and/or certified to a recognised safety standard and supported by a formal safety management system.
About the Awards Event
- The event is supported by a number of sponsors including; National Australia Bank (Gold event sponsor), Fisheries Research & Development Corporation (Silver event sponsor) and Western Rock Lobster Council (Silver event sponsor) as well as sponsors for each of the individual awards, including Austral Fisheries, Bailey’s Marine Fuels, Baker Refrigeration, Bendotti Exporters, Geraldton Fisherman’s Cooperative, ConocoPhillips Australia, Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development WA, Endeavour Foods, Francis A Jones, INPEX, Mareterram, MG Kailis Group, Santos and Woodside.
- Award event attendees enjoyed an array of fresh, local and sustainably caught Western Australian seafood prepared by celebrity chefs and kindly donated by sponsors including; Austral Fisheries, BellBuoy Seafoods, Bendotti Exporters, Blom Fishing, Brown Dog Fishing Co, Cone Bay Barramundi, Endeavour Foods, Fins Seafood, Larner’s Oysters, Leeman Fish & Chips, Mendolia Seafoods, MG Kailis Group, Ocean Grown Abalone, Ocean Wild Tuna, Paspaley Pearling Company, Running Wild Fishing Co, Shark Bay Cockles, Shark Bay Seafoods, West Australian Octopus all served in compostable packaging provided by Ward Packaging.
- Highly regarded “celebrity”’ seafood chefs cooked at the event including; Gurpreet Bagga (Sauma Northbridge), Naomi Bulner (Steve’s Fine Food), Neil Forbes (Black Pearl Oyster Shucking), Don Hancey (WA Food Ambassador & WAFIC Seafood Ambassador), Gord Kahle (Cook & Mason), Stuart Laws (Showcase Events WA), Kenny McHardy (Manuka Woodfire Kitchen), Brendan Pang (2018 Masterchef Contestant), Melissa Palinkas (Young George), Alejandro Saravia (Uma), and Nic Wood (Santini Bar & Grill).
- The event was held on Thursday 25 July 2019 at Fremantle’s Esplanade Hotel.