Join WAFIC to Celebrate Dynamic Seafood Industry Excellence
The Western Australian Fishing Industry Council (WAFIC) is delighted to once again host the WA Seafood Industry Awards in 2019. The Awards celebrate our local seafood industry’s value to the State economy and the professionalism and commitment of our fisher men and women in supplying some of the finest seafood in the world to local, national and international markets.
John Harrison, Chief Executive Officer of WAFIC, said that the industry is increasingly faced with difficult times, but the Awards allow for an opportunity to acknowledge the hard work by individuals and teams across WA’s dynamic seafood sector.
“Too often we as an industry are presented with the need to address tough and challenging issues. The State Seafood Awards are a genuine way to acknowledge those who are proactively trying to make a positive contribution to grow the future of the industry,” he said.
“There are a number of very worthy participants within the industry and across the supply chain including licensed fishermen, processors, exporters, fish wholesalers, aquaculture producers, retailers, restaurants, fish and chips shops, state representatives from government agencies, fisheries policy and decision makers, as well as individuals and businesses involved in the seafood and fishing industry.”
“We are pleased to announce that this year’s Awards will be held on Thursday 25 July and encourage our talented, hardworking and innovative industry members to apply. All applications will go through a rigorous judging process, where three external judges will choose the winners from applications received,” he said.
The 14 Award categories include:
- Seafood Restaurant Award
- People’s Choice Fish and Chips Award
- Fish and Chips Award
- Seafood Industry Producer Award
- Seafood Business (Large) Award
- Seafood Business (Small) Award
- Research, Development & Extension Award
- Environment Award
- People Development Award
- Safety Award
- Seafood Industry Promotion Award
- Young Achievers Award
- Michael Kailis Leadership Award
- Deckhand Award
Industry members are to note that nominations for the 2019 WA Seafood Industry Awards close on 31 May 2019. Entry forms and further information on judging criteria and guidelines can be found on the WAFIC website (http://www.wafic.org.au/event/2019-state-seafood-awards/).
Winners of 13 of the award categories will receive automatic entry into the Australian Seafood Industry Awards which will be held in Melbourne in conjunction with the 2019 Seafood Directions Conference on 9-11 October. As a new category in 2019, the Deckhand Award, is a WA only accredited Award.
“We are very excited to include the Deckhand Award into the Awards suite this year, as we strongly believe it’s important to recognise and reward the contributions and achievements of those at the coal-face of our industry.”
Concluding, Mr Harrison encourages lovers of seafood to attend the evening and help promote the successes of one of Western Australia’s most innovative and diverse industries.
“The 2019 event endeavours to be bigger and better than ever before and promises to deliver a “Seafood Spectacular” of food-theatre displays from ten celebrity chefs who are preparing gastronomical delights from fresh, local and sustainably caught Australian seafood. We welcome lovers of seafood to join us and enjoy taste sensations from the indulgent high-end to the lesser known species including WA crayfish, prawns, crabs, scallops and sardines to name a few”.
(08) 9432 7710
2019 Western Australian Seafood Industry Awards background
- The event is supported by a number of sponsors including; the National Australia Bank (gold event sponsor), Fisheries Research and Development Corporation (silver event sponsor), Western Rock Lobster Council (silver event sponsor). Additional sponsors for each of the individual awards include: Austral Fisheries, Bailey’s Marine Fuels, Baker Refrigeration, Bendotti Exporters, ConocoPhillips Australia, Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development, Endeavour Foods, Francis A Jones, Geraldton Fishermen’s Co-Operative, INPEX, Mareterram, MG Kailis Group, Santos and Woodside. Full list can be found via: http://www.wafic.org.au/event/2019-state-seafood-awards/
- Award event attendees will enjoy an array of fresh, local and sustainably caught Australian seafood prepared by celebrity chefs and kindly donated by sponsors including; Austral Fisheries, Bellbuoy Seafoods, Bendotti Exporters, Brown Dog Fishing Co, Cone Bay Barramundi, Endeavour Foods, Fins Seafood, Geraldton Fishermen’s Co-Operative, Indian Ocean Fresh Australia, Larner’s Oysters, Leeman Fish and Chips, Mendolia Seafoods, MG Kailis Group, Ocean Grown Abalone, Ocean Wild Tuna, Paspaley, Running Wild Fishing Co, Shark Bay Cockles, Shark Bay Seafoods and West Australian Octopus. Ward Packaging are also supporting the event with biodegradable and compostable packaging products.
- Highly regarded “celebrity’ seafood chefs cooking at the event include; Gurpreet Bagga (Sauma Northbridge), Naomi Bulner (Steve’s Fine Food), Don Hancey (WA Food Ambassador & WAFIC Seafood Ambassador), Gord Kahle (Cook and Mason), Stuart Laws (Showcase Events WA), Kenny McHardy (Manuka Woodfire Kitchen), Melissa Palinkas (Young George), Brendan Pang (2018 MasterChef Australia Contestant), Alejandro Saravia (Uma) and Nic Wood (Santini Bar and Grill).
- The event will be held on Thursday 25 July 2019 at Fremantle’s Esplanade Hotel.
- To purchase event tickets, please visit waseafoodawards2019.eventbrite.com.au