Justine Arnold Wins Young Achiever Award
The Awards event, recognising excellence in the WA seafood industry, was held at The Esplanade Hotel in Fremantle and opened by Minister for Fisheries, the Hon. Dave Kelly MLA, in front of an audience of industry participants and representatives of various stakeholder groups.
WA Fishing Industry Council (WAFIC) Chair, Dr Ron Edwards said Ms Arnold, as a candidate under 35 years of age, has demonstrated that she has made a positive difference to the seafood industry, and has the potential to continue to develop as an effective and respected seafood industry leader.
Born into a crayfishing family, Justine continued her interest in the seafood industry by gaining employment as a Fish Feeder with IOFA when the company started its first commercial aquaculture operation in 2008. From that point, Ms Arnold’s drive and enthusiasm for the industry and personal development has continued, as she has completed a Diploma in the Seafood Industry as well as a Bachelor of Marine Science with Honours and after 11 years of employment at IOFA, has worked her way up to the position of Production Manager.
Ms Arnold is now keen to develop other like-minded individuals, so has been instrumental in establishing an internship program with IOFA and is actively pursuing university students within Western Australia and even nationally.
“Ms Arnold’s passion for her job and the seafood industry is infectious and should be encouraged. It’s fantastic to see the younger generation so enthusiastic about the seafood and fishing industry and we can only hope to continue attracting like-minded people to an industry that has stringent management of environmental sustainability and provides some of the world’s best seafood,” said Dr Edwards.
“As an industry body, we recognise the importance of acknowledging those individuals and organisations who make a substantial contribution to benefiting our industry, and Ms Arnold is certainly incredibly worthy of this Award,” Dr Edwards concluded.
For further information regarding the awards, please contact:
WAFIC office: (08) 9432 7777
Mobile: 0434 963 179
Dr Ron Edwards
WAFIC office: (08) 9432 7777
Mobile: 0408 925 805
Indian Ocean Fresh Australia
Mobile: 0439 398 30
Office: 9964 3140
About the Young Achievers Award
Presented to a person, under 35 years of age, who has demonstrated that he or she has made a positive difference to the seafood industry and has the potential to continue to develop as an effective and respected seafood industry leader.
- has made a positive difference to the seafood industry
- is committed to effect positive change through leadership and innovation
- is respected by industry colleagues
About the Awards Event
- The event is supported by a number of sponsors including; National Australia Bank (Gold event sponsor), Fisheries Research and Development Corporation (Silver event sponsor) and Western Rock Lobster Council (Silver event sponsor) as well as sponsors for each of the individual awards, including Austral Fisheries, Bailey’s Marine Fuels, Baker Refrigeration, Bendotti Exporters, Geraldton Fisherman’s Cooperative, ConocoPhillips Australia, Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development WA, Endeavour Foods, Francis A Jones, INPEX, Mareterram, MG Kailis Group, Santos and Woodside.
- Award event attendees enjoyed an array of fresh, local and sustainably caught Western Australian seafood prepared by celebrity chefs and kindly donated by sponsors including; Austral Fisheries, BellBuoy Seafoods, Bendotti Exporters, Blom Fishing, Brown Dog Fishing Co, Cone Bay Barramundi, Endeavour Foods, Fins Seafood, Larner’s Oysters, Leeman Fish & Chips, Mendolia Seafoods, MG Kailis Group, Ocean Grown Abalone, Ocean Wild Tuna, Paspaley Pearling Company, Running Wild Fishing Co, Shark Bay Cockles, Shark Bay Seafoods, West Australian Octopus all served in compostable packaging provided by Ward Packaging.
- Highly regarded “celebrity”’ seafood chefs cooked at the event including; Gurpreet Bagga (Sauma Northbridge), Naomi Bulner (Steve’s Fine Food), Neil Forbes (Black Pearl Oyster Shucking), Don Hancey (WA Food Ambassador & WAFIC Seafood Ambassador), Gord Kahle (Cook & Mason), Stuart Laws (Showcase Events WA), Kenny McHardy (Manuka Woodfire Kitchen), Brendan Pang (2018 Masterchef Contestant), Melissa Palinkas (Young George), Alejandro Saravia (Uma), and Nic Wood (Santini Bar & Grill).
- The event was held on Thursday 25 July 2019 at Fremantle’s Esplanade Hotel.