Love Australian Prawns Keeps Australia on the Menu
The innovation and excellence of the Australian Council of Prawn Fisheries (ACPF) and Australian Prawn Farmers Association (ACPF) was last night recognised when they won the Research Development and Extension Award, sponsored by Santos, at the 2019 Western Australian Seafood Industry Awards.
The Awards event, recognising excellence in the WA seafood industry, was held at The Esplanade Hotel in Fremantle and opened by the Minister for Fisheries, the Hon. Dave Kelly MLA, in front of an audience of industry participants and representatives of various stakeholder groups.
WA Fishing Industry Council (WAFIC) Chair, Dr Ron Edwards said the Australian Council of Prawn Fisheries and Australian Prawn Farmers Association had demonstrated excellence in developing and undertaking a research, development and extension activity that has contributed substantially towards a sustainable and profitable seafood industry.
“Recent studies estimate that approximately 30% of seafood internationally is reported as ‘mis-described’ either by country of origin, catch date, product type, amongst others. As a result, seafood authentication and traceability has become a high research priority area across the industry nationally.”
“The Australian prawn industry’s production of around 25,000 tonnes is valued at approximately $400 million farm/beach price each year. But as prawns are the second most consumed seafood amongst Australians, Australia imports 32,000 tonnes of prawns each year valued at approximately $405million to meet demand.”
“ACPF and ACPA’s research into investigating the use of trace element profiles to substantiate provenance for the Australian prawn industry as well as their ‘Love Australian Prawns’ campaign has significantly assisted the prawning industry and helped to address the number one consumer concern of trust, transparency and freshness of produce,” he said.
“As an industry body, we recognise the importance of acknowledging those individuals and organisations who make a substantial contribution to benefiting our industry, and ACPF and ACPA are certainly incredibly worthy of this Award,” Dr Edwards concluded.
For further information regarding the awards, please contact:
WAFIC office: (08) 9432 7777
Dr Ron Edwards
WAFIC office: (08) 9432 7777
Mobile: 0408 925 805
Mobile: 0411 426 469
About the Research, Development & Extension Award
Presented to an entity that has demonstrated excellence in developing and undertaking a research, development and extension activity that has contributed substantially towards a sustainable and profitable seafood industry.
- addressed a high priority for the seafood industry
- was end-user driven, and produced outcomes that contributed towards the sustainability and profitability of the seafood industry
- was challenging, involved technical risk, and required systematic investigation and a high level of innovation to achieve the planned outcome
About the Awards Event
- The event is supported by a number of sponsors including; National Australia Bank (Gold event sponsor), Fisheries Research & Development Corporation (Silver event sponsor) and Western Rock Lobster Council (Silver event sponsor) as well as sponsors for each of the individual awards, including Austral Fisheries, Bailey’s Marine Fuels, Baker Refrigeration, Bendotti Exporters, Geraldton Fisherman’s Cooperative, ConocoPhillips Australia, Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development WA, Endeavour Foods, Francis A Jones, INPEX, Mareterram, MG Kailis Group, Santos and Woodside.
- Award event attendees enjoyed an array of fresh, local and sustainably caught Western Australian seafood prepared by celebrity chefs and kindly donated by sponsors including; Austral Fisheries, BellBuoy Seafoods, Bendotti Exporters, Blom Fishing, Brown Dog Fishing Co, Cone Bay Barramundi, Endeavour Foods, Fins Seafood, Larner’s Oysters, Leeman Fish & Chips, Mendolia Seafoods, MG Kailis Group, Ocean Grown Abalone, Ocean Wild Tuna, Paspaley Pearling Company, Running Wild Fishing Co, Shark Bay Cockles, Shark Bay Seafoods, West Australian Octopus all served in compostable packaging provided by Ward Packaging.
- Highly regarded “celebrity”’ seafood chefs cooked at the event including; Gurpreet Bagga (Sauma Northbridge), Naomi Bulner (Steve’s Fine Food), Neil Forbes (Black Pearl Oyster Shucking), Don Hancey (WA Food Ambassador & WAFIC Seafood Ambassador), Gord Kahle (Cook & Mason), Stuart Laws (Showcase Events WA), Kenny McHardy (Manuka Woodfire Kitchen), Brendan Pang (2018 Masterchef Contestant), Melissa Palinkas (Young George), Alejandro Saravia (Uma), and Nic Wood (Santini Bar & Grill).
- The event was held on Thursday 25 July 2019 at Fremantle’s Esplanade Hotel.